Babywearing is excellent weight-bearing exercise, and what better way to include your baby in your daily activities than by carrying them in a baby carrier? In honor of National Sports and Physical Fitness Month, we’d like to share some ideas and resources to help you get moving and active – and healthy – with your baby.
- Get out there: Hiking with your children is a wonderful way to show them the beauty of their natural environment and get some great exercise at the same time. The sun, fresh air and your movement is sure to lift your spirits. Are you wondering where to find a local hiking spot? Here’s a helpful post that can help you do just that, no matter where you are.
- Throw on some music and dance around your living room, your bedroom, your kitchen while you cook…wherever you are. All you need is your baby, you carrier and some music. What’s another bonus, aside from the great exercise you’ll get from moving? You might find that the music and your movements put your baby in a good mood, too. You might even end up with a sleeping baby. And we all love a sleeping baby, don’t we? Oh, and yes, we have a post about that, too.
Check out these great sites for babywearing exercises and other goodies:
- Parent’s Village: Babywearing and Exercising. A post by Arie Brentnall-Compton, one of the leaders of the Canadian Babywearing School and co-owner of Tadpoles and Butterflies, a Canadian online babywearing retailer.
- The Babywearing Workout, Mama’s “Little” Personal Trainer: a 30-minute exercise video created by Kelli Roschak that you can do in the comfort of your own living while wearing your baby in a wrap or baby carrier.
- Sling and Dance: Mommy and Me meets Zumba. Classes are held in LA, but you can watch the videos and dance along right at home!
How about you? What do you do to get moving with your baby?