Babywearing is an excellent way to keep your baby close to your heart while you go about your daily routine. We all have things to do, and wearing your baby in a sling, wrap or baby carrier allows you to keep your hands free without neglecting your baby. But if you’re new to the world of babywearing, or if you’ve been out of the loop between babies, you might have a lot of questions and feel overwhelmed by all your choices.
Here’s a list of resources to help you navigate your way to babywearing comfort, understanding and proficiency.
- Babywearing forum on BabyCenter – an active community of babywearers. There are people of all different levels of expertise, from novice to knowledgeable, so join up, jump in and join the conversations. It’s free to join.
- Mothering.com Community on Mothering – Extensive forums about a range of parenting and mothering topics, including one dedicated to babywearing. You can also connect in real life (IRL) with other mothers near you through Mothering’s “Finding Your Tribe” forum. It’s free to join.
- The Baby Carrier Industry Alliance (BCIA) – Formed in 2010, the BCIA is a trade organization dedicated to standardizing the baby carrier industry, as well as to educating all sectors about proper positioning and quality baby carriers.
- Babywearing International – A non-profit organization dedicated to promoting babywearing as a universally-accepted practice with benefits to both child and care-giver.
- Excellent illustrations of recommended and not-recommended hip positioning while using a baby carrier from the International Hip Dysplasia Institute.
Have fun exploring these resources and enjoy the new connections you’ll make through the online communities listed above! As you explore, you’ll be led to new resources and guides to deepen your babywearing experience.
Did we leave anything out? Have any suggestions for us for other resources to add? Please comment below.